The Tiger's Eye: Thought for the day

14 January 2006

Thought for the day


Late did I love you, o ancient and new Beauty; late did I love you. You were within me, while I was outside of myself. I sought you outside; I flung myself disgracefully onto the beautiful things of creation. You were with me, and I was not with you. Those things that would not exist if they were not in you, held me back, far away from you. You called, and your cry forced itself upon my deafness. You shone, and your brilliance chased away my blindness. You gave forth your perfume, I breathed it, and behold; now I long for you. I tasted you, and I am hungry for you, I thirst for you. You touched me, and I have burned with desire for the peace that you give. When I am united with you with my whole being, I shall no longer feel pain or fatigue. My life, utterly filled with you, will then be true life. You make lighter the person whom you fill. Now, since I am not yet filled with you, I weigh upon myself… Lord, have mercy on me! My bad sorrows fight with my good joys. Will I come out of this battle victorious? Have mercy on me, Lord! Poor being that I am! Here are my wounds. I do not hide them from you. You are the doctor, I am ill. You are merciful, and I am wretched.

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the ChurchConfessions X, 27

Often it is tempting to add to a truth in order to make it "more true". Someone once reminded me that "adding to the truth does not make it more true, it makes it false."
This was the commentary from the daily readings of the Church. Often I find myself feeling this way only to realize I have fallen in love with the creation and not the creator.