The Tiger's Eye: Gripe session

12 July 2007

Gripe session

Ever had one of those days where you feel just slightly out of phase?
Like someone adjusted the vertical hold to your screen and you just can’t seem to find the proper equilibrium?
When I get sick it usually starts this way.
Yesterday I woke up at the usual 5:00am and after the morning ritual I sat down with yogurt to read emails and a few headline prior to showering.
As I sat there, I kept thinking, “I just don’t feel good”.

I’m not one of those people who feel compelled to go to work with body parts hanging loose or a fever of 104 but yesterday was special. I had a day-long meeting with correspondents from Seattle and Los Angles that I really needed to attend to so I filled my body with medicines and stuffed myself into the Mazda and motored downtown to the Garage and stumbled into the office feeling like crap.
Over the years I have learned that if you put enough caffeine into your body along with Advil you can usually fool yourself into believing you are going to be OK when in fact all you are doing in delaying the inevitable crash. After 5 cups of coffee I was ready to sit thru said meeting or at least till I could duck out and not make everybody miserable. And sit there I did, for 5 hours thinking the entire time, “I just don’t feel good”. (Its starting to sound like a theme doesn’t it?)
About 1:30 after my structural consultants had left to catch their flight back to Seattle, I was able to make an exit and feeling like I was running a fever I dashed for the garage to come home.

You would think that after 46 years I would know my own body. I knew I was going to feel awful and awful I felt, for that matter I feel pretty bad today as well.

I hate being sick.