The Tiger's Eye: Father's Day 2007

17 June 2007

Father's Day 2007

When I was younger I was like so many in that I believed my dad could do pretty much anything. I was a kid but in my mind my dad was invincible. I always knew that he had the answers when I had questions. I just took it for granted that it was the way it was supposed to be.
As I grew I came to realize that my hopes and dreams were wrapped up in becoming a man like my dad. I didn’t was to BE him but I did want to be LIKE him. I wanted to be a great Dad and husband.
One of the things I have always admired about Dad was that when ever he looks at my mom he still sees the lovely young bride he married 50 years ago. It’s been that way pretty much all my life. I always knew that no matter what, Dad loved mom.

No one ever told me how hard is would be.

As I grew older I thought my young impressions of my dad were silly and childish. I thought I realized that no man could do all that I thought he could.
Like all young men who reach majority and think they know all there is to know about everything, I assumed that I had just been duped into believing my dad was invincible.
I still loved my dad but I sort of took him for granted.

When I turned 28, I married the woman I am still married to and hopefully will be to the day I die. I close my eyes and I see her turning to come down the aisle and I remember thinking, “I’m not going to make it up the aisle to meet her halfway. I’m going to faint and collapse. SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!”
I still see her that way 18 years later. Still young, still stunning, I’m still not worthy of her.
It was at that point I began to understand my dad.
That night I became a dad. I inherited my lovely daughter from Linda and I began to realize that she expected me to always be right and always have the right answer. She turned to me for things that mom’s cannot provide. I did my best hoping she wouldn’t notice that I sometimes was flying by the seat of my pants.
Once that sank in, I began to understand the wonderful bond dads have.
We ARE always right and we always have the correct words when something goes wrong; (At least in the eyes of our children). They turn to us asking for things we know we cannot provide but we somehow do it anyway.
It is a heavy burden but one that I gladly bear. We always try not to abuse that privilege because we don’t want to have our children take us for granted.

Looking back over the last 18 years of my life I hope I have been as good a dad to my daughter as mine has been for me. I did the best I could at the time.

Thanks Dad, Happy Father’s Day.