The Tiger's Eye: Alas Poor Dick, we knew him not well...

27 December 2006

Alas Poor Dick, we knew him not well...

Perhaps I am cynical, perhaps its just the time and distance from the event but I’ve never understood why the Left and especially the press was so up in arms over Nixon and Watergate.

(From Nixon’s memoir – “In the Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat and Renewal”):

“I was wrong in not acting more decisively and more forthrightly in dealing with Watergate, particularly when it reached the stage of judicial proceedings and grew from a political scandal to a national tragedy.“No words can describe the depths of my regret and pain at the anguish my mistakes over Watergate have caused the nation and the Presidency — a nation I so deeply love and an institution I so greatly respect.” – via NRO’s The Corner - http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NWI0MzQ0NWZiNGRlYjkwMTNhOTI3ZDJkMmVlMTZmNDE=

There was a great pathos about Nixon. It was almost as if he were a character from a Shakespeare play.

(UPDATE TO A PREVIOUS POST)
Again I'll ask, "What was John Kerry thinking?" - http://the-tigers-eye.blogspot.com/2006/10/short-post-of-explaination.html
Sheesh! This man was the BEST the Democrats could do? - Over at the Powerline blog they have an update and a photo that says it all. Go there - http://powerlineblog.com/archives/016314.php

(UPDATE NO 2)
Well now apparently it has been officially "proved" that Sen. Kerry wasn't being snubbed by the troops in that photo. Apparently he and a pair of reporters decided to withdraw for a private conversation "off the record" and were photographed that way. So much of what was said was a tempest in a pisspot.

I still content that Senator Kerry was a horrible choice for a presidential candidate.