The Tiger's Eye: Day one of silence

14 December 2005

Day one of silence

Well, I SURVIVED although frankly had I known how much fun I would be having I most certainly would have forgone the festivities. I’m sitting here with a gauze moustache under my nose to keep me from dripping blood on the keyboard. I have absolutely awful breath (I now understand the phrase “mouth breather”) from not being able to breathe thru my nose. On the plus side I did get plenty of sleep last night – to paraphrase my late sister, Ah the wonders of pharmacology! Vicoden is wonderful stuff – nuff said.
Linda bought me one of those wipe-on/wipe-off note boards so I can communicate of sorts.
1st interesting observation: You know how it is said that the primary issue in communication is listening? I never understood how frustrating I must be when I go on a verbal tear, all ranting and raving. I don’t listen but rather just wait until the other person is done speaking so I can talk. Not being able to speak means that when I am asked a question, the other person must wait till I formulate an answer and can write it out. It is so frustrating when they don’t wait for my answer and instead try to answer for me. I DIDN’T WANT TO SAY THAT! Is what I usually start with, well I have some learning to do. Now the shoe is on the other foot and I see how others must see me. To those who know and understand, I’m sorry for all those times I talked over you.
I’ll try to do better from now on.